Calculate with Confidence, Fourth Edition
by Deborah C. Gray Morris RN BSN MA LNC
Edition: 4 - 2005
Calculate with Confidence provides a clear consistent format with a step-by-step approach to the calculation and administration of drug dosages. It covers the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods. This popular text focuses on enhancing the learning experience of students at all curricular levels by making content clinically applicable. Concepts relating to critical thinking, logical thinking, and nursing process are presented throughout. New practice problems have been added throughout this edition and rationales for the answers continue to be provided giving the students a better understanding of principles related to drug dosages. This fourth edition addresses the increasing responsibility of nurses in medication and administration; it emphasizes the priority for client care, and presents material that reflects the current scope of the nursing practice. The NEW student CD-ROM packaged with each book contains numerous interactive exercises and a comprehensive post-test.
- A clear and consistent, step-by-step approach to calculations and administration makes it easy to understand.
- Ratio and Proportion, Formula, and Dimensional Analysis content provides students with well-rounded coverage.
- Pretest and post-test help identify strengths and weaknesses in competency of basic math before and assess their comprehension after Unit One: Math Review.
- Points to Remember boxes highlighted in each chapter help students remember important concepts.
- Critical thinking information that should be applied in the clinical setting to help avoid drug calculation and administration errors is boxed throughout the text.
- Full-color illustrations, photographs, and drug labels familiarize students with what they'll encounter in the clinical setting.
- Current Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) recommendations are followed, such as avoiding certain abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols to help ensure patient safety and quality of care
- Dimensional analysis method has been added to examples throughout the book providing an alternative method to converting and calculating dosages without the need to memorize a formula
- Content added to the Medication Administration chapter on the latest techniques and measures being used to prevent medication errors
- The Basic IV Calculations chapter has been reorganized into smaller sections to allow mastery of relevant content and calculations
- Content on the calculation of Heparin dosages according to weight and the calculation of meds by IV push has been added
- Syringes have been redrawn for a more accurate, realistic look
- Current drug labels are included reflecting the latest drugs used on the market
- A new Drug Calculations Student CD-ROM is packaged with every copy of the text. This user friendly, interactive student tutorial includes an extensive menu of various topic areas within drug calculations such as oral, parenteral, pediatric, and intravenous calculations. Covering the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods, this CD contains 565 practice problems including a comprehensive post-test